The Visas and Nationality service (PhD verification with English proficiency) is suitable for you if:
- you hold a qualification comparable to a PhD degree in the UK
- you have completed said qualification with English as the only language of instruction, or hold another qualification equivalent to a Bachelor, Master’s or PhD degree level in the UK that has been taught solely in English.
If your qualification meets this requirement, our team will complete the assessment and issue a statement with your outcome.
This statement will include the:
- Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) – this comments on whether the university-awarded qualification meets a PhD degree level in the UK
- The statement will also include the verification result; this is achieved by contacting your institution to confirm that the degree is genuine.
- English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS)* – this comments on the level of English proficiency required to complete the given qualification according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
When comparing overseas qualifications to UK qualifications, we consider factors such as entry requirements to the course, syllabus studied, length of study etc. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and many aspects are considered to allow us to comment on your qualification. With these, our team will then research your qualification and try to determine an appropriate level of comparison with the UK framework.
We aim to complete qualifications for this service within 30 working days; however in circumstances where further research or other requirements need to be considered this can take longer. Our team will notify you through your account if this applies to your application.
For more information about how we assess qualifications, please see our Methodology page.
Please note that a Visas and Nationality (PhD verification with English proficiency) statement should be presented to the Home Office along with your qualification. It does not replace or supersede your qualification.
If further documents are required throughout the application process, your due date for completion will be updated and resets.
* English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) – this information is not provided if you have studied at an institution in a majority English speaking country as this is not necessary for the Home Office in these cases. Only the Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) will be issued, as well as verification if applicable to that service.